The Latest COVID-19 Vaccine Info
-- posted: 8 FEBRUARY 2021
Western Tidewater Health District
- Serving residents of Isle of Wight county, Franklin, Suffolk or Southampton county.
- Being manned by EMS volunteers
- Call (757) 514-4570
- Please click for info and updates here.
Isle of Wight Health Department
- As of today, Tuesday Feb 9th, 2021, at this time they don't have any appointments available for covid vaccinations.
- next scheduling date is March 18th and only for age 65 and older.
Commander Eggleston opened the meeting being held at Mainstreet Restaurant in Smithfield at 1830. In attendance were 24 Post members, their guests and the Auxiliary. All stood and rendered honors to our nation's flag. The opening prayer was given, to include a special blessing for the occasion and the food of which we were about to partake. There was no roll call of officers taken nor any reports given, and the business portion of the meeting was, at Commander's discretion, not conducted as normal.
Awards of plaques and Certificates of Appreciation on behalf of the Post veterans were presented to the following:
- Bobby Little-Smithfield True-Value owner, for his outstanding support of our Post's community activities and fundraisers on his South Church St property over the years which has gained our Post both financial and public relations successes beyond normal expectations.
- T. Carter Williams-Post member and Mayor of Smithfield, for his dedication to the Post by managing/promoting and personally working in/on multiple fundraisers that has raised better than $20,000 over the years that he's dedicated himself to these endeavors. As well, he managed and worked on the project to construct the addition on the Post home that allows for significantly increased storage space for our use. His initiative lead to the designing and placement of the individual service insignia on the exterior of our post home adding immeasurably to its ambiance in the neighborhood.
- Marie Arinello, Auxiliary Chaplain and Americanism Program Coordinator, for her exemplary management of this very important project annually for years to ensure the Voice of Democracy and Patriot's Pen Essay contests reached all our school's students in the various age groups thus giving them the opportunity to compete at the District/State/National levels as well as being excellent examples for their fellow students to emulate in promoting "love of our USA".
- Claire Phillips, Auxiliary member, for her years of support of our Flag Project in Smithfield thru the use of her skills as a seamstress, making minor to substantial repairs to what would otherwise be unserviceable US flags; thus, extending their "display life" and minimizing significant expense of purchasing replacement US flags at no small cost. The Post's veterans place our nation's flag on the streets of Smithfield at least 16 X's during the year at nearly 200 individual businesses and citizens' homes.
The Commander expressed his gratitude and thanks to all the above, individually, for their support and dedication to our Post's veterans and our programs/projects engaged in over the course of many years.
Dinner was served for all to enjoy what they ordered by the Mainstreet Restaurant staff, expeditiously and very congenitally in the spirit of the Christmas season.
A closing prayer was given, thanking God our maker for the many blessings we've enjoyed in a difficult year with the virus restrictions and associated health concerns for all. Looking forward to a better 2021.
Commander closed our function at 1950. Next meeting to be 10 February 2021 at the Post home.